It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:53 am 

TIPEC membership: 6177
Hi all

Saw this on fleabay a while ago:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280567361532&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Modified original Porsche strut legs to receive Koni inserts. I suppose this means that if you fit Koni's normally you have to use their strut legs at greater expense? Not having been down this road (yet) I am wondering if the supplier of these modified legs are on to a good thing - fab4porscheparts.

Wasn't there some comments recently that the Koni legs don't have the required brake pipe brackets? Maybe this is the advantage?

Cheers all

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6177
AhHa!

Just had a really quick and full response from Mike at the aforementioned fab9porscheparts

Koni used to make direct replacement complete strut legs but stopped due to limited demand as this strut is a porsche only fitment.
they now make an insert damper which fits in the original casing.
when you remove the strut from your car you have to drain the oil out, cut the top off to the correct length, remove the piston etc and you are left with the casing.
a hole has to be drilled in the bottom of the casing,exactly in the centre, as the new insert is held in the casing by a 12mm bolt.
a rubber seal/30mm wide band is then fitted over the insert/casing to seal casing.
its not rocket science but if you get the cutting off wrong or get the hole wrong you could be on the search for more donor units,also the studs or brackets on them usually need some sort of attention.
the insert you have seen listed is basically ready to fit the insert and it only takes 2 to 3 hours to replace the pair, it is a bit of a messy job to do the cutting down etc.

Make sense to me - the Ebay price of £79.00 the pair + £9.00 carrage might be a good deal for some....

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:45 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Yup quite a few do it & it is a good strut system. They do a shock to match the rear as well. Since standard Sachs or Boge are similar money it makes good economic sense.

Vice Chairman &
South London & North Kent RO

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000 Porsche Boxster S
Light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4734
I have a pair of S2 front struts sitting in the shed if anyone wants to chop them up and repaint them ready to fit some Koni inserts. I can do them for less than £79 too, but they won't be yellow :D

1992 968 Coupe in midnight blue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Skype ID: markofay
Hi first time post on this forum, bit of a long shot as I know this thread is quite old just wondering if you still have the struts, are they front struts and are they still for sale?
Thanks
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4734
markofay wrote:
Hi first time post on this forum, bit of a long shot as I know this thread is quite old just wondering if you still have the struts, are they front struts and are they still for sale?
Thanks
Mark

No sorry, mine went not long after this thread got started.

1992 968 Coupe in midnight blue